[LON-CAPA-users] Posting and retrieving html files

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Aug 17 11:40:06 EDT 2017

Mark,

> I have a user who wants to save html files on LON-CAPA and be able to
> retrieve the original html file for editing outside LON-CAPA.
>
> Is there a way to do this either in a course or in construction space?

A number of ways ...

1. Within a course, the user could use:

Course Editor > Content Utilities > "Export contents to IMS Archive"

and select the HTML file which is to be edited.  LON-CAPA will create
a zip file, which can be saved to the user's laptop/desktop.  If the
contents are extracted, the html file will be in a subdirectory within
the resources subdirectory within the ims archive folder.  The html
file can then be opened and edited with a text editor on the user's
computer.

2. Another way to do this would be for the user to display the
uploaded HTML file in a LON-CAPA course and click the Edit item in the
gray Functions bar, and then push the "Edit" button on the next page,
the source of the HTML will be displayed in a large textarea.

If the user clicks within the text area and then uses right-click or
control-click (Mac OS) and chooses "Select All" from the menu,
followed by right-click or control-click and copy, the raw HTML will
be copied to the clipboard, from where it can be pasted into a new
document opened in the user's favorite editor on his/her computer.

Note: if the editor in LON-CAPA opens the file in the Rich text
editor, the user can click the "Plain text" link to switch to plain
text display.

Note: if the file is in Authoring Space then option 2 (above) can also
be used, via the "Edit" link in the directory listing in Authoring
Space.

3. A third way -- if the file is in Authoring Space, and (a) the
user's LON-CAPA library server/VM uses Apache/SSL, and (b) the domain
coordinator has not dis enabled webDAV access for authors -- is for
the user to connect to the Authoring Space with webDAV and then use
the preferred editor on his/her computer to open the file via a volume
mounted via webDAV.

The Authoring manual includes information about using webDAV.

If webDAV is available in a particular domain, there will be am "About
WebDAV access" help item link at the top right of the directory
listing for the top level of an Authoring Space, which displays
information about using webDAV.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium