[LON-CAPA-users] "The submitted answer was too long."

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Tue Apr 18 12:40:26 EDT 2017

Doug,

"The submitted answer was too long." message is displayed when a submission
receives an award of "TOO_LONG" in the case of a submission for one of
the following response types:

numericalresponse, forumularesponse or stringresponse.

The limit of 500 characters is hard-coded in default_homework.lcpm.

According to the commit logs this was added 5/23/2003 to address bug
#941, because of a constraint from the CAPA engine, which is used to
evaluate correctness for numericalresponse, stringresponse (excluding
regular expression matches), and formularesponse (excluding those
using Maxima, now the default).

See:
http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-cvs/Week-of-Mon-20030519/003989.html

Note: as things standard currently the limit of 500 characters still
applies to formularesponse, even if the maxima CAS is used to evaluate
correctness, and not the CAPA engine.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium