[LON-CAPA-users] error on new course

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Aug 25 07:14:26 EDT 2016

Jim,

> What might have gone wrong here, and is there any way to fix it?

It sounds as though copying from the course being cloned to the new
course failed for the top-level map (i.e., the default.sequence file)
in the old course.

The courseID of the new course tells me that your session was hosted
on pittmath1, i.e., the Pitt Mathematics department's access server
when you created the new course, and not Physics-Astronomy's library
server (pittphyast1).

That means that there would have been a number of calls to retrieve
sequence files (including default.sequence) from the library server,
followed by copying, then modification (to replace instances of the
old courseID with the new in any src attributes in the
default.sequence file), and lastly notification to the homeserver for
the new course (i.e., the library server) to copy the modified
sequence files from the access server to the library server for
permanent storage.

The routines in lonclonecourse.pm which are used for cloning do not
currently return any information about success or failure of the
various operations which occur when cloning a course, so you'd need to
look in /home/httpd/perl/logs/lonnet.log on the access server, and/or
/home/httpd/perl/logs/lond.log on the library server for information
about failed replication.  However, since lonnet.log is rotated, the
information in the lonnet.log file may no longer be around, if you
created the new course more than a few days ago.

What to do?

Depending on how much work you have done in the new course, since
cloning, you could just create another course, (again with cloning),
but this time with a web session hosted on the library server.  You
could then rename the current "2171_24834 PHYS 0081 Space & Time,
Light & Matter" course, disable auto-enrollment, and expire all roles.

Or you could attempt to repair the 6E101732148bb57dcpittmath1 course
by using  command line access (as user www) to copy the
default.sequence file from
/home/httpd/lonUsers/pitt/$1/$2/$3/$clonedcourse/userfiles/default.sequence to
/home/httpd/lonUsers/pitt/6/E/1/6E101732148bb57dcpittmath1/userfiles/default.sequence, and then use a text editor to replace any instances of $clonedcourse with 6E101732148bb57dcpittmath1 (where $clonedcourse is the courseID of the course that was cloned, and $1, $2, $3 are the first three characters in that
courseID).

Of course it may be that other sequence files, besides
default.sequence, were also not copied/modified from the old course to
the new course, so you might need to do the same for them.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium