[LON-CAPA-users] legal name change/user id change

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Oct 1 10:00:30 EDT 2015

Hi Doug,

Virtualization of usernames is planned for a future LON-CAPA release
to accommodate this type of situation.

What is currently done at MSU in the case where a student changes
his/her MSUNetID (used as the username in the msu domain)
mid-semester, is to have the user continue to log-in using the "old"
MSUNetID until the end of the semester.  A domain coordinator will
change the first name, last name and "permanent" e-mail address
associated with the "old" username in LON-CAPA.

In the event that changing an institutional username also causes
authentication to stop working for the "old" username, then a domain
coordinator can also change the authentication type to "internal" and
direct the student to (a) use /adm/resetpw to set a password, and
thereafter log-in via /adm/login (i.e., not use SSO) for the remainder
of the semester.

If you use automated enrollment there will be an entry in the
autoenroll.log file noting that a potential username change has been
detected (based on the student/employee ID being used for two
different usernames - the one in LON-CAPA -- "old" username -- and the
one in the institutional classlist -- "new" username).  Automated
enrollment does not drop the old username from the classlist and add
the new username to the classlist in this instance.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium