[LON-CAPA-users] (no subject)

Rex Abert ABERTR at tcc.fl.edu
Tue Nov 3 10:08:49 EST 2015

Peter and Gerd-

Thanks for the suggestions.  Gerd's is a more elegant, one-line version of mine that handles the rounding correctly, where my original version simply chopped the following digits.  In computing a grade average, improperly handling the rounding in the fourth decimal place isn't a huge concern (to me at least---maybe to the student).

Peter's suggestion of "sprintf" also works nicely.  I used

$x = some formula that computes an average;
sprintf  '%.3f', $x;

Peter-

The spreadsheet is Lon-Capa's gradebook. Go to Main Menu->Grading and Statistics->View calculated grades (Spreadsheet).

After using LC since 2008, and after much begging from students to post their grades, I decided to tackle the spreadsheet.  I was intimidated at first, and the documentation is a bit minimalist, but I've got it figured out.  Like everything else LC, there is a bit of a steep learning curve at first, but the results are well worth it.  The gradebook/spreadsheet works PERFECTLY,  and it is very flexible.  I've been able to incorporate all the offline grades and get students' grade averages computed correctly.

Rex Abert
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Tallahassee Community College