[LON-CAPA-users] coding a customresponse problem using &cas()

Justin Gray jgray at math.sfu.ca
Wed May 27 21:21:14 EDT 2015

Thank you all for your help with this problem. This does indeed seem to
work as expected:

<problem>

<startouttext />
nor an identity matrix.</p>
<endouttext />

<customresponse>

<answer type="loncapa/perl">
# Get rid of white space
$submission=~s/\s+//gs;
# It's not a matrix if it does not at have parentheses
unless ($submission=~/^\(.+\)$/) { return 'BAD_FORMULA'; }

# Now evaluate something in MAXIMA
$idempotent=&cas('maxima','rank(matrix'.$submission.'^^2-matrix'.$submission.')');
$determinant=&cas('maxima','determinant(matrix'.$submission.')');
$rank=&cas('maxima','rank(matrix'.$submission.')');
# If $idempotent is not an integer, then the matrix is in the wrong format
unless ($idempotent=~/^\s*\d+\s*$/) { return 'BAD_FORMULA'; }
# Test the outcome of the MAXIMA expression
if ($idempotent == 0 && $determinant == 0 && $rank != 0) { return
'EXACT_ANS'; }
else {return 'INCORRECT';}
</answer>

    <textline readonly="no" spellcheck="none" size="80" />
</customresponse>

</problem>

Justin

Justin Gray | Senior Lecturer
Department of Mathematics | Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive, Burnaby | V5A 1S6 | Canada
Tel: +1 778.782.4237