[LON-CAPA-users] coding a customresponse problem using &cas()

Justin Gray jgray at math.sfu.ca
Tue May 26 22:02:03 EDT 2015

Hi Gerd,

This seems to work as expected for square matrices. However, the example
below accepts ([2,-2,-4],[-1,3,4]) as an answer, even though
&cas('maxima','rank(matrix'.$submission.'^^2-matrix'.$submission.')')
should generate an error in MAXIMA:

(%i1) A:matrix([2,-2,-4],[-1,3,4]);                               [  2
  - 2  - 4 ]
                               [ - 1   3    4  ]
(%i2) rank(A^^2 - A);
MULTIPLYMATRICES: attempt to multiply nonconformable matrices.
 -- an error. To debug this try: debugmode(true);

Justin

Justin Gray | Senior Lecturer
Department of Mathematics | Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive, Burnaby | V5A 1S6 | Canada
Tel: +1 778.782.4237