[LON-CAPA-users] Implicit Answer

Rex Abert ABERTR at tcc.fl.edu
Tue Mar 17 10:56:37 EDT 2015

A year or two (or three?) ago, Gerd Kortemeyer provided a subroutine for exactly the purpose you need.  This led to the implementation of a new problem type, which is the first option in the section

Algebraic Response Problems

->Custom Response comparing Equations using Computer Algebra System

when creating a problem in Authoring space.

I have written several problems using this format, with various tweaks.  Some examples are

/res/tccfl/abertr/Precalculus/Conics/ConicSection01.problem
/res/tccfl/abertr/Precalculus/Conics/ConicSection02.problem
/res/tccfl/abertr/Precalculus/Conics/ConicSection03.problem
/priv/tccfl/abertr/Precalculus/Conics/Ellipse3.problem

There are several others in that same directory.  Feel free to browse and borrow all the code you need.  The source is open on all my problems.

Enjoy!

Rex Abert
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Tallahassee Community College