[LON-CAPA-users] Questions on Slots

Mills, Douglas G dmills at illinois.edu
Tue Jun 30 12:24:07 EDT 2015

HI All,

I'm not finding much documentation on Slots, so if it's out there, can someone point me in the right direction?

Here are some questions we are uncertain about:

(1) To create slots via csv file upload, what needs to be in the csv file?  Is there a sample file somewhere?

(2) How do you connect a given resource to a given set of potential slots? We know there are the two interfaces — the slot creation interface and the resource parameter interface, but is there somewhere where you say that Exam 1 can be taken in these particular slots and no others?  Is that simply a byproduct of when Exam 1 opens and closes and the slots that are available in that timeframe?  Or is there something else somewhere that helps control that?

(3) What is the function of the "secret word" ?  In my testing I found that if I assigned a proctor from the course, I wasn't seeing that there was any need for the secret word. I had imagined that perhaps a blank in which to enter the secret word would appear when a student attempted to access a resource and an onsite (or online in a case like ProctorU) proctor would type the word in for the student and the student would continue from there.

(4) In setting up the slots, there are options for "Period of Time when this slot can only be uniquely chosen"  -- the meaning of this and what it does is not clear to us.

Thanks as always!

Doug

Douglas Mills
Director of Instructional Technology