[LON-CAPA-users] Illegal division by zero

Herrick, Robert J rherrick at purdue.edu
Mon Jun 1 16:45:55 EDT 2015

Hi
  Sure.
Dad

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 1, 2015, at 4:37 PM, Bob Gonzales <rgonzal at binghamton.edu<mailto:rgonzal at binghamton.edu>> wrote:

So, I got another one today.  If you look at 'Script Vars' for partB, an answer was actually calculated for the part.  Here's a cut and paste from the 'Script Vars' windows while viewing the message:

$ansa=9.54889173779562e+16
$ansb=1.90977834755912e+17
$deg2rad=0.0174532925199433
$f1=6.0221e+23
$f2=2
$mw1=296.41
$n1=0.047
$pi=3.14159265358979
$rad2deg=57.2957795130823
$sub2=oxygen
$t1=2
$t2=3
$unit1=molecules
$uselessVariable=partB

$ansb is the answer for this part, $f1 is the variable in the denominator that lon-capa is referring to in the message:

 Illegal division by zero at (eval 88895) line 6.

occurred while running

$t2=&random(1,3);
$sub2=&choose($t2,"carbon","hydrogen","oxygen");
$f2=&choose($t2,20.0,24.0,2.0);
$uselessVariable="partB";
$ansb=($ansa/$f1)* $f2 * 6.0221e23;

This error occurred while processing part t06p12b
The error occurred on host binghamtona7

So, I don't know how lon-capa calculated the answer and then complained about an illegal divide by zero.

Any thoughts?

Bob Gonzales