[LON-CAPA-users] FW: printing of math

Rex Abert ABERTR at tcc.fl.edu
Thu Dec 3 15:28:34 EST 2015

Carl-

The $ and \[ notation are used by TeX and LaTeX for formatting math.  The symbol $ some-math-stuff $ typesets the math between the two dollar signs as mathematics in the current line of text.   Using double dollar signs $$mathy stuff$$ typesets the  mathematics as a centered formula on its own line.  This notation has been incorporated into Lon-Capa:

The symbols \(  formula \) creates inline math, and \[ formula \] creates a centered formula.  They are almost equivalent.  In "A Guide to LaTeX" by Helmut Kopka and Patrick W. Daly, they explain the difference between the symbols. (page 118)

"\( is fragile and $ is robust"

Elsewhere in the book they explain "fragile" and "robust." (page 23)

"The influence of certain commands is not limited to the place where they appear but may also affect other parts of the document.  For example, the sectioning commands, such as \chapter{heading}, generate the headings not only at the point where they are issued but also possibly at the top of each of the following pages in a different typeface, and perhaps once again, in yet another typeface, in the table of contents.  Such an argument that appears at several places in the document is called a moving argument .

"Moving arguments can create problems if they contain commands that are prematurely interpreted before they are finally applied.  Such commands are said to be fragile, while others that can withstand moving are called robust.  A fragile command can still be safely used within a moving argument if it is preceded by \protect."

For what it's worth, I often have 3 reference books nearby as I'm working on LC authoring: Perl, HTML, and LaTeX. ;-)

I hope this helps.

Rex Abert
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Tallahassee Community College