[LON-CAPA-users] Exporting from BB and importing into loncapa

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Aug 20 10:03:35 EDT 2015

HK,

> 2. On loncapa, I tried to import the imscc file using the upload a new
> document but the file is not recognized.

Support for import of IMS packages, previously exported from a CMS in
.zip format, (from one of Blackboard 5 or 6, ANGEL 5.5, or WebCT)
directly into a LON-CAPA course was implemented in 2004 (for LON-CAPA
version 1.2).  At that time, support was also implemented for import
into Authoring Space (for the same CMS systems, and then later WebCT
Vista was added).

Since then Blackboard has acquired both ANGEL and WebCT, and new
versions of Blackboard have been released, with corresponding changes
to their IMS packaging of content.

In the case of import into a course you would use: Upload > IMS Upload
to upload the zip file, and select the source CMS.  However, I would
need to update LON-CAPA's IMS processing code to support import from
the current version of Blackboard Learn.

So, in answer to your question:

> I have some resources on BB that I like to import into loncapa. Has anyone
> managed to do that?

The answer is yes I have, but only with older versions of BB exports,
which LON-CAPA's IMS import code was written to support.  It would be
relatively straightforward to update the LON-CAPA code to support the
latest BB version, and I would be happy to do it, but I would need a
BB export file to work with.  Contact me off-list, or submit a bug
report if you would be interested in that.

LON-CAPA Academic Consortium