[LON-CAPA-users] Lon-Capa, PDFs and iOS

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Jan 30 13:59:40 EST 2014

Doug,

>>> So I’m looking for feedback and suggestions on either or both of
>>> these approaches, OR if you’ve solved this problem in some other
>>> way, I’ll be happy to hear about that as well.

My recommendation to MSU Faculty who need LON-CAPA to support display
of a multi-page PDF on a mobile device has been to recommend putting
the content in Supplemental Documents.

Note: student access to Supplemental Content (renamed) is more
intuitive in the forthcoming 2.11.0 than in earlier LON-CAPA releases.

I would also note the LON-CAPA 2.11.0 attempts to detect if the user
is browsing from a mobile device, and tries to improve the user
experience accordingly, e.g., by using jquery.nicescroll.

A potential downside to the use of Supplemental Content is that
parameter settings to control access are unavailable.

Last summer I expended some effort in trying to address the general
issue of scrolling for a PDF in an iframe on iOS (for LON-CAPA's main
content area), without finding a resolution.  Perhaps, by now, there
is a solution to this issue, but I've not revisited this recently.

Anyway, if there are mobile devices which your students and faculty
use to access LON-CAPA, it would be helpful if you could test out
LON-CAPA 2.11.0.RC2, currently running on the testdrive cluster (
https://testdrive.loncapa.org ) using those devices, to see if you
encounter any issues (e.g., with nicescroll), aside from the known
scroll problem for PDFs in iframes on iOS.

Thanks,

Stuart

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium