[LON-CAPA-users] questions about our first exam - controlling access

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Feb 13 13:27:46 EST 2014

Joseph,

> We would like to restrict access to the exam to students who are in the
> exam rooms.  Is there any way to require a password to access a
> resource?  Perhaps something with slots?

Yes, you could use instructor-assigned slots to restrict access to a
resource to a particular time period, with the requirement for a
proctor to enter a username and a slot-specific password to open
access.  Slots can also incorporate IP-based access.

Proceed as follows:

1. Use Main Menu -> Manage slots to create a new slot.
(a) Set an appropriate date range for the slot
(b) Set to "Instructor assignable."
(c) Set to "Require proctored checkin for access."
(d) Enter a word for "Secret word proctors use to checkin users:"
(You can optionally set IP restrictions also).
(e) Select some proctors from course personnel associated with the
course -- note you could potentially enroll a special user in the
course to be the proctor.

2. Use "Course Contents" to display the contents of a folder
containing resources which require access control by password.
3. Click on a resource in the folder
4. Click on "Modify parameter settings for this resource"
5. Click * in the column "for Enclosing Map or Folder" in the "Use
slot based access controls [Part: 0] (useslots) and select:
"Yes, and the scope of student selected slot is the enclosing
map/folder. When checking in, it applies to only one resource." then
Save.
6. Click * in the column "for Enclosing Map or Folder" in the "Slots
of availability [Part: 0] (available)" row.

An alternative to the use of slots (and a proctor using a password to
open access) is to set the parameter: Client IP/Name Access Control
[Part: 0] (acc) "for Enclosing Map or Folder" to restrict access to
particular IP addresses.

You can enter multiple IP ranges by separating with a comma.

Supported formats for each range are:
35.8.*

or
35.8.3.[34-56]

or
*.msu.edu

or
35.8.3.34

or
somehostname.pa.msu.edu

> To restrict access to the homework problems I will probably hide the
> homework folders just before the exam starts.  I also turned off the
> communication features.  For those with more experience with LON-CAPA
> exams, is there anything I should considered for exam security?

Things to consider:

(a) how to prevent students using other applications besides the web browser

(b) how to prevent students using web sites other than LON-CAPA

(c) how to prevent students using other parts of LON-CAPA, aside from
the exam itself.

As regards (c), LON-CAPA 2.10.1 provides:
Main Menu -> Send and display messages -> Communication Blocking

which allows blocking of access to the following
communication/collaborative areas in LON-CAPA:

Messaging, Chat Room, Discussion, Portfolio, Groups, Blogs

The forthcoming LON-CAPA 2.11.0 provides access to an expanded and
more flexible exam blocking utility via:

Settings -> Content Settings -> Blocking Communication/Resource Access

which adds blocking of access to: Printouts and specified Course
Content, in addition to the six communication/collaborative areas.

There is also the possibility of setting the blocking event to only
start when the student activates the timer for a timed quiz (in this
mode blocking ends when the timer expires), instead of having a
statically defined start and end time.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium