[LON-CAPA-users] Letter Grades in the Spreadsheet

Raymond Batchelor batchelo at sfu.ca
Mon Mar 4 19:33:00 EST 2013

Hi Doug,

I can't comment on the spreadsheet, since I don't use it.  I prefer to do all weighted marks/grades calculations offline.  However, I use "Score Upload" resources to display textual info for students (such as letter grades or exam scores, with comments).  One can upload such text from a csv file, to either "Grade Info", or to "Comment", or to both.  These can be quite long strings and I often include simple html, such as <br /> to format what the student sees, quite nicely.

I usually also upload either "points" or "partial credit factor".  However, *after* the upload I invariably set the weight of the resource to "0" and maxtries to "-1".  This effectively removes that score from the "grade book" (i.e. from "Chart" and default spreadsheet), and suppresses any "Submit" buttons or system feedback, so that the student sees a clean page with just the Grade Info, and/or Comments.  Nonetheless the partial credit factor remains stored, so that I could, if I chose at a later date, reapply some weight for the purposes of any grade calculations or scores export.

We use this to display, for example, Midterm Exam results, broken down in differing ways and with comments.
We also use it to display complex marking scheme results for Lab Reports, or for a summary of all components contributing to, say, a Lab course.

Ray