[LON-CAPA-users] default maxtries and hinttries

lira at egr.msu.edu lira at egr.msu.edu
Wed Jul 10 23:58:24 EDT 2013

Thank you Doug. The &EXT function always returns 99 in the authoring
space. This confused me for a long time. This occurs even if you set a
default maxtries to a value in the problem part. However, the author
specified maxtries is displayed next to the answer field, but in the
authoring space you can keep trying more submissions > maxtries and the
&EXT function always returns 99, so it is not possible to check the
behavior of hinttries equal to the returned value unless one is willing to
try 99 guesses.

After I published it, the &EXT function works as described. However, it
does not work to set hinttries to the value obtained by the
&EXT('resource.<partid>.maxtries'). My 'parameter in effect' value of
hinttries stays at the 'Current Session Value' even though I tried to
assign a different value. I have echoed the value, so I know that it being
returned. It just is not overriding the standard default.