[LON-CAPA-users] course coordinator questions; building assignments

Mark Lucas lucasm at ohio.edu
Tue Jul 2 11:42:55 EDT 2013

Joseph,

An assembled sequence created in construction space is used if you somehow want
access to the complete set from the resource browser. For example, you want to insert
a folder as a monolithic chunk of problems that can't be changed under the course.
An assembled sequence also makes a nice 'shopping list' for including individual
problems.

What we typically do here these days is the following:

* Create a folder in the course under edit course.

* Import problem you want in the assignment. You can then rename the titles
   under edit course as well as encrypt the URL, etc....

* At the beginning of the next semester, I clone the course. The new instructor can
   easily go into edit course and rearrange, add or delete problems.

* If I want a published sequence representing the assignments from the course, I can
   dump the contents of the course into a directory in construction space and publish
   the assignments I created under edit course.

* If the sequence itself is imported, the instructor cannot change the order of problems, nor can
   they add problems to the folder.

Let me know if any of this makes sense. A more detailed discussion of this can be provided if you want.

Later,
Mark