[LON-CAPA-users] Puzzling situation...

Mills, Douglas G dmills at illinois.edu
Fri Feb 22 12:44:46 EST 2013

HI All,

We're greatly perplexed by this situation.  We have a student whose results for two different responses in a part should be 0, but the answer is accepted for one of the responses and not accepted for the other. To the best of my abilities to discern, everything about the two items is identical (and having written these, it's almost certain that I cut and pasted my way from one to the other) and the data for the two are analogous.

The formulas for computing the two answers are:

$dY11=&format($EAY11-$AY11,"2s");
$dB12=&format($EAB12-$AB12,"2s");

The values for the variables in her instance are:

$EAY11=4.2e-1

$AY11=.42

$EAB12=2.6e-1

$AB12=.26

The coding in the problems looks (is!?) identical as well:

<numericalresponse format="2f" answer="$dY11" id="22">
<responseparam name="tol" type="tolerance" default="2%" description="Numerical Tolerance" />
<responseparam name="sig" type="int_range" default="1,2" description="Significant Digits" />
<textline /> $PART20msg[1]
</numericalresponse>

<numericalresponse format="2f" answer="$dB12" id="25">
<responseparam name="tol" type="tolerance" default="2%" description="Numerical Tolerance" />
<responseparam name="sig" type="int_range" default="1,2" description="Significant Digits" />
<textline /> $PART20msg[4]
</numericalresponse>

Any ideas anyone on why in the second instance ($db12, id=25) 0 is accepted as a correct answer but in the other instance ($dy11, id=22), 0 is returned as incorrect???

Doug

Douglas Mills
Director of Instructional Technologies
Department of Chemistry