[LON-CAPA-users] Client IP/Name Access Control and WiFi?

Gerd Kortemeyer korte at lite.msu.edu
Sun Aug 11 03:44:35 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Aug 11, 2013, at 3:11 AM, TF <lee at math.usask.ca> wrote:

> I've used "Client IP/Name Access Control" in lab locations with wired
> connections to the internet using a fixed range of IP addresses.  It has
> worked well.  Does "Client IP/Name Access Control" work for locations
> equipped only with WiFi access points?

That depends on your local setup. However, I doubt that it will be very precise:

* students could access the WiFi from outside the classroom (but still in the vicinity)
* if the WiFi is a router, the machines would get "local" IPs, 10.0.0.x
* if the DNS is campus-wide (DHCP), there is way to control anything on campus