[LON-CAPA-users] Any way to modify message before starting a timed problem?

Mills, Douglas G dmills at illinois.edu
Mon Jan 30 10:59:41 EST 2012

Hi All,

We’ve incorporated an HTML5 activity into a quiz we’d like to release later this week. The quiz will be timed, therefore, I want to steer students using an incompatible browser (mainly older versions of IE) to another browser BEFORE starting the quiz.  In-class communication, etc. will certainly be part of that, but with class sizes of 350 students it’s inevitable not everyone will be reached no matter what we try. Is there a way to customize the standard “This resource is open for a limited time...” message to include additional information such as compatible browser information?  Or other suggestions of how to approach this?  It’s easy when it’s just an untimed homework option — insert a big red message in the problem itself telling the student they need to use a current version of Firefox, Safari or Chrome (or even IE9 for many of these activities). But clearly we don’t want to hit them with such a message once the timer has started...  Thank you for any pointers.

Doug

Douglas Mills
Director of Instructional Technologies
Department of Chemistry