[LON-CAPA-users] Having an equation or a range as a response

Gerd Kortemeyer korte at lite.msu.edu
Thu Jan 19 20:28:30 EST 2012

Hi,

On Jan 19, 2012, at 8:18 PM, Seema Ali wrote:

> I'm super new to Lon Capa and I'm trying it out to see what I can do with it.  I have a huge list of questions but for now I'll just ask two.
>
> A.  How to you set up the response (evaluation) so that a student can enter an equation.  For example:
> 1. x=4
> 2. y=5
> 3.  u^2 + v^2 = 2

That depends on how you want to check if it's a correct equation. Very easy would be

x=[answer box]
y=[answer box]

Would "x+2=6" or "sqrt(x)=2" also be correct for 1.?

If you could send a concrete problem, I'll be happy to code some samples.

> B.  How do you set up the response (evaluation) so that a student can enter a range.  For example:
> 0. 1<x<=3

Customresponse would be the easiest solution for this case. I believe there is a template that checks if the answer is 90 or -90, I would recommend editing that.

> 1.  -1/2 <= x < 1/2 or x>10

Again, customresponse would likely work best.

> 2.  empty set
> 3. all real numbers

For those you'll likely need to provide a radiobuttonresponse, I don't see another way of inputting this.