[LON-CAPA-users] Maxima is being fussy

Seema Ali sali at vsb.bc.ca
Tue Feb 21 23:37:00 EST 2012

I think the version I have on my computer is different from the one use on the Lon Capa server.  It worked fine in the command line.  Below are the Maxima commands I used.

I guess with my inexperience with Maxima, I'm worried that there might be another case that Maxima will mark a correct answer wrong.  Will the triple trigsimp(trigreduce()) trick always work?

(%i30) g(x) := 1/3 * (8 + (x-3)^3);
                                   1             3
(%o30)                     g(x) := - (8 + (x - 3) )
                                   3
(%i31) h(x) := 8/3 + ((x-3)^3)/3;
                                                3
                                     8   (x - 3)
(%o31)                       h(x) := - + --------
                                     3      3
(%i32) is(trigsimp(trigreduce(g(x) - h(x)=0)));
(%o32)                               true
(%i33) is(trigsimp(trigreduce(h(x) - g(x)=0)));
(%o33)                               true
(%i34) h(x) := (8 + (x-3)^3)/3;
                                                3
                                     8 + (x - 3)
                                          3
(%i35) is(trigsimp(trigreduce(g(x) - h(x)=0)));
(%o35)                               true
(%i36) is(trigsimp(trigreduce(h(x) - g(x)=0)));
(%o36)                               true
(%i37)