[LON-CAPA-users] Any way around this?

Mills, Douglas G dmills at illinois.edu
Tue Aug 21 10:54:20 EDT 2012

HI All,

I’m finding that if I define a variable as follows:

$CB1=&format(8.000e-6,"4s");

OR

$CB1=&format(8.000e-6,"3e");

And use it as the answer to a numerical problem requiring 4 significant figures, I get the error message that “the computer’s answer is incorrect (‘8e-06’).”

I know (and have tested to confirm) that if I simply change the final zero to a 1 (so 8.001e-6) everything is fine. I had thought the &format command was the key to insisting on the correct number of sig figs in a variable, but I guess hadn’t run into this specific situation before.

Any help from the pros?  Thanks,

Doug

Douglas Mills
Director of Instructional Technologies