[LON-CAPA-users] {Disarmed} Re: Invalid Access when using colleague's Problem in a Sequence?

Mills, Douglas G dmills at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 8 13:23:59 EDT 2011

Thank you Ray and Todd — yes, the missing ingredient was a second path from before the conditional to the Finish block of the sequence. Working wonderfully now. Thank you! For others who may be interested, here are my notes on some of the Ins and Outs working on sequences with the advanced editor:

  *   Safari (5.1 at least) seems to insist on encoding anything you enter into the dialogue boxes, most notably conditions to be met for the conditional sequences, but also URL strings for the resources (one of the resources I was referencing had a space in it and the resulting %20 was apparently enough to break the reference). Firefox does not do that.
  *   If you do not provide an alternate path to Finish bypassing your conditional statements all subsequent content in your course will be blocked until the conditions are met
  *   If you want to reference a resource within a conditional, give it an alias (via “Set Parameters” > “Custom Parameter:parameter_0_mapalias”) for that resource (and be sure to check the Enter box for the parameter before saving as well).
  *   Aliases have to be unique for not just the sequence, but for the whole course the sequence is being added to
  *   It is apparently not possible to use the same problem repeatedly in a sequence even if you give each instance a different alias; it IS ok to duplicate the problem as many times as you want to use it in the sequence (assuming that’s due to dependence on the unique problem id)
  *   There apparently is NOT a way to easily check if a multipart has been started as a whole; however, it IS possible to use II in your conditions to check whether any individual part has been tried (where “newatt1” is the alias assigned to the previous problem in the sequence and 11, 13 and 15 are the part ids for the problem):

(&EXT('user.resource.resource.11.tries','newatt1') >0 ) ||(&EXT('user.resource.resource.13.tries','newatt1') >0 ) || (&EXT('user.resource.resource.15.tries','newatt1') >0 )

  *   It’s very helpful to have some test student accounts for testing and debugging this (in a test course too!)

I hope this is helpful for anyone else interested in making use of this powerful feature.

Doug