[LON-CAPA-users] Restricting resource printing

Mills, Douglas G dmills at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 12 17:15:07 EDT 2011

We were having problems with students printing quizzes from Lon-Capa and
looking for help on them from our tutors, so we added this line of code to
the top of the problems:

When you go to print, the document is blank.  For what it's worth, along
with that for our purposes we have also added:

{background-image:url("/res/uiuc/dmills/resources/quiz.gif");-webkit-user-se
lect: none;-khtml-user-select: none;-moz-user-select: none;-o-user-select:
none;user-select: none;}</style>

This adds a faint "Quiz" into the background of the page to alert tutors in
our learning center if a student is asking for help directly on the computer
or if the student takes a screenshot to print and ask for help from. It also
prevents selecting text -- we had some students copying and pasting the
contents of a quiz into a Word document to print and ask for help...

the quiz.gif referenced above is only published to the domain, but if you'd
like a copy of it or just to view it you can see it at

http://butane.chem.illinois.edu/dmills/LC/quiz.gif

Doug