[LON-CAPA-users] adjusting variables on a problem that's been released?

Mills, Douglas G dmills at illinois.edu
Tue Oct 4 10:27:06 EDT 2011

Hey All,

We have an odd situation where in a very small percentage of cases our random variables are working together to generate an impossible answer (“mix 1004.2 mL of X and –4.2 mL of Y to form 1 L of solution...”). The problem has been released and these can be dealt with on a case by case basis as needed if necessary, but we are wondering what would happen if we tweaked the range of one of the variables to eliminate the possibility of the answers over 1000 mL.  Specifically, what happens to students who have already done the problem with that variable possibly out of the new range (there are several variables involved so only in a very few cases do the calculations result in a solution out of range) -- does Lon-Capa ignore those cases where the problem has already been completed?  What happens if a student has started the problem and so had the values set, but has not completed it — do the original values stay the same even though they are now out of range in the newly published version?

Thank you in advance for guidance on this issue!

Doug

Douglas Mills
Director of Instructional Technologies
Department of Chemistry