[LON-CAPA-users] default user-defined functions in Maxima?

Justin Gray lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 8 Mar 2011 14:26:38 -0800

--bcaec51a8b0a41e54c049e001c19

When coding mathresponse problems, I typically allow students to use
notation that Maxima would not normally recognize by creating user-defined
functions in the answer algorithm, for example:

ln(x):=log(x);

A colleague asked me today whether it was possible to make these definitions
more globally, at the course level for example, so that these user-defined
functions would not need to be coded separately into each problem. I think
the answer is no. Is that correct?

It occurs to me that other domains that want to use these resources might
not want user-defined functions hard-coded in the problems if there was an
option to set this at the course level, much like the display of math
equations.

Thanks,
Justin

Justin Gray | Senior Lecturer
Department of Mathematics | Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive, Burnaby | V5A 1S6 | Canada
Tel: +1 778.782.4237

--bcaec51a8b0a41e54c049e001c19

When coding mathresponse problems, I typically allow students to use notati=
on that Maxima would not normally recognize by creating user-defined functi=
);</div>

ake these definitions more globally,=A0at the course level=A0for example, s=
o that these user-defined functions would not need to be coded separately i=
nto each problem. I think the answer is no. Is that correct?</div>

se resources might not want user-defined functions hard-coded in the proble=
ms if there was an option to set this at the course level, much like the di=
splay of math equations.</div>

v><div>Justin Gray | Senior Lecturer</div>Department of Mathematics | Simon=
 Fraser University<br>8888 University Drive, Burnaby | V5A 1S6 | Canada<br>

r>

--bcaec51a8b0a41e54c049e001c19--