[LON-CAPA-users] Using Slots - Problem Due Date and Time Limit parameters

Stuart Raeburn lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 24 Jun 2011 11:12:43 -0400

Hi,

>    I would like to set a deadline for reserving or changing a time slot
> to 12 hours before the earliest time slot.

That is not currently supported.

Under the existing implementation, you can set a date/time when
students can start reserving a slot, but not explicitly when a slot
can no longer be reserved.  (There is an implicit cut-off date/time --
once the start date/time of the slot itself is reached, it can no
longer be reserved).

> Period of time when this slot can only be uniquely chosen:
>    Start: , , : CST  or Any time
>    End  : , , : CST  or Any time <-- I set this appropriately.

The "uniquely chosen" time period settings are used to enforce a
policy of one slot per student during a particular time interval.

For example, if you have a certain number of lab sessions during a
particular week, you might want to require each student to only be
able to reserve one of those sessions, at any time. If "Uniquely
chosen" is in force an existing reservation will be released when a
student reserves a different time slot, if time periods for "uniquely
chosen" for the existing slot and the new slot overlap.

A LON-CAPA enhancement could be implemented to also support the configuration:

"Time students can no longer reserve"

which would allow setting of a date/time before the current implicit
cut-off for student reservations, i.e., the start date/time of the
slot itself.

I assume the purpose of the 12 hour time window before the slot starts
is so you will know in advance the number of students who will be
using a particular slot.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group