[LON-CAPA-users] User not added when course request processed (was: Section specific parameter settings when cloning)

Stuart Raeburn lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Sun, 23 Jan 2011 20:56:00 -0500

Lars,

> I used the link to select a user, assigned the user the role of
> Student, and also assigned the user to a section that existed in the
> old course.
>
> I don't think I missed anything, but neither the user nor the section
> were in the new course.

Thanks for clarifying this.

Your use of the term "cloning" to describe the course request process
for a new course was the source of the confusion in earlier posts in
this thread.  In LON-CAPA, cloning refers to the specific action of
duplicating content, parameters etc. from an old course to a new one,
which can occur when a Domain Coordinator creates a course, or when a
course request is processed.

The following discussion is more appropriate for the lon-capa-admin
mailing list, but I include it here in the lon-capa-users list to
maintain the integrity of the thread.

The user you included as additional personnel in your course request,
was not included when your request was processed (either for immediate
creation of the course, or pending approval by a Domain Coordinator -
depending on domain configuration) because either:

(a) Creation of new users of the user's type (either institutional or
non-institutional) was not allowed, or
(b) The format of the username was in conflict with format rules in
force, used when checking usernames for new users.

Both of these are configured by the Domain Coordinator via:
Set domain configuration -> User creation

The first is the entry in the "When requesting a course" row in the
"User account creation" box.  The second is in the "Format rule type"
box, which will only be visible if format rules have been defined in
localenroll.pm (which I think is the case for your domain, from what I
recall from customizing localenroll.pm for tmcc in August 2010).

In any event, if the user already had a LON-CAPA account when you
included them in the course request for the new course, the checks in
(a) and (b) are unnecessary.

These checks were added to lonrequestcourse.pm for 2.10.0.RC2, to
provide the following functionality:

"Course Requests: now allow users without existing accounts to be
included in course creation requests, as long as a default
authentication type has been set for the domain."

lonrequestcourse.pm rev 1.62 now restricts this sanity checking to
users included in additional personnel for whom LON-CAPA accounts do
not currently exist.  The 2.10.0.RC2 Testing release you are using
included rev 1.61; the 2.10.0 final release will include rev 1.62.

If you want to update it now do the following (as root):

All on one line:

wget -O /home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/lonrequestcourse.pm
'http://source.loncapa.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/loncom/interface/lonrequestcourse.pm?rev=1.62;content-type=text/plain'

/etc/init.d/httpd reload

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group