[LON-CAPA-users] Slot Help

Stuart Raeburn lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:11:55 -0400

Hi,

The slot request instructions which Felicia previously created, and
which are applicable to LON-CAPA 2.8 and earlier, can now be found at:

http://help.lon-capa.org/faculty/signup-tutorial/2.8/

Some minor corrections have been made to the tutorial.

I anticipate an updated version will be created in due course to
reflect changes in more recent LON-CAPA releases.  Some parts of this
documentation will be added as LON-CAPA help files included with new
versions of LON-CAPA.

When using slots to allow students to sign-up for particular
dates/times, the following are the key steps.

1. A LON-CAPA "problem" needs to be included in the course.

2. The open date for the problem needs to have passed before it can be
used by students to sign-up for the activity for which you wish to use
slots to limit student numbers.

3. One or more slots need to be created (of type student selectable).

4. If you create two slots covering different periods, and want
students to only be able to select one of them for a particular
activity (i.e., problem) you need to set the "Period of time in which
slot can only be uniquely chosen" for each one to encompass both slots.

5. When a problem has "Use slot based access controls" set for it,
e.g., at the resource level, students can select any
student-schedulable slots for that problem that are not excluded from
use (e.g., slots only usable for different sections, slots only usable
for different resources etc.).  If something other than "Any" is set
for the "Period of time in which slot can only be uniquely chosen",
and the current time falls within that time period, then more than one
slot cannot be selected for a given problem.  The converse applies for
any slots which have "Any"  --  multiple slots can be selected for a
particular problem in that case (subject to exclusion constraints
above).

6. Once the slot start time has passed, the slot will no longer be
newly selectable by a student who has not previously chosen it for a
particular problem.

Stuart Raeburn