[LON-CAPA-users] environment.notification

Stuart Raeburn lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Sun, 07 Sep 2008 23:42:30 -0400

Brew,

&EXT('environment.notification') is the correct invocation to echo the
LON-CAPA message notification e-mail address of the user.  Other items
from a user's environment will similarly use
EXT("environment.$itemname"), replacing $itemname with the appropriate
variable to be displayed.

There are two items of user information which use the form:
&EXT("user.$itemname"):

(a) &EXT('user.name') echoes the username of the current user.
(b) &EXT{'user.domain') echoes the domain of the current user.

Note: in LON-CAPA, there are three different e-mail addresses stored
in a user's environment.db.  These are: notification, critnotification
and permanentemail.

The first two are set by the user - via:
Main Menu -> Set my user preferences -> "Change Message Forwarding and
Notification Email Addresses"

The third is set/modified by a Domain Coordinator, and also may be
set/modified by a Course Coordinator, depending on the domain
configuration.  A regular user is not able to modify the value of
permanentemail stored in environment.db.

I have created a survey question which echoes the user's information.
Log-in to LON-CAPA, select a role which permits browsing of the
repository of published content, and point at:

/res/msu/raeburn/examples/userinfo_from_ext.survey

This item has been published open source.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group