[LON-CAPA-users] submission masaging

Peter Riegler lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 21:40:04 +0200

Hi Bob,

below is a guess what is going on. To give a more reliable answer I
would need to see the source code of the problem.

Bob Gonzales wrote:

> What kind of massaging does LONCAPA do
> to the string of text that is entered
> for an answer?
>
> I ran into a situation where a student entered
> the number 1.1e-7 as 1.1  e-7.  LONCAPA took out
> the spaces before it checked the answer and then
> marked the problem correct.

Presumably, you are using formularesponse or mathresponse. There, prior
to grading the submission is passed through a function named
&implicit_multiplication. Among other things it interprets suitable
spaces as multiplication operators (which is perfectly fine for
1.1<space>e-7).

> I then grabbed the
> submission (via &EXT) and assigned it to a variable
> and then used the variable in a calculation, without
> removing spaces (who would have thought...) and got
> an answer I didn't expect.  Interestingly,  LONCAPA
> used the mantissa (the 1.1 part) in the calculation and
> ignored the rest of the submission.

Well, this was Perl. Your 1.1 e-7 entered as a string in your
calculation, but within the context of a calculation was converted into
a number.

> So, I guess I need to massage the submission
> the same way LONCAPA does in order to avoid
> this situation in the future.
Me too. Wrapping an &implicit_multiplication() around the submission
should do it.

Hope this will help

Peter