[LON-CAPA-users] Survey Question on Resources

lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 07 Feb 2008 21:35:02 -0500

Hi everyone!

I'd like to try a quick little project. One of the issues with LON-CAPA is
finding  the pockets of resources. I'm going under the gun at a Science
Education meeting with high school teachers tomorrow (Science Education Council
of Ohio Conference) and again I'm reminded that the first thing they'll as is
where do they find materials.

We have several places - theDump is obviously one that helps a lot. We have the
welcome pages under Physics and Chemistry at /res/showntell/Physics,Chemistry,
but it's pretty much luck from there.

Would domain coordinators or major users at different domains be willing to fill
out the following quick survey. You can either send it to me personally or to
the list. I would then compile the results and ship it back out.

Thanks!
Mark Lucas

--------------------
Domain:

For what subject areas do you have system-wide available resources people might
like to use?

Are these appropriate for College, AP HS, 9-12 general or all three?

What are some pointers to these materials?

Any other comments you'd like to add?

----------------------------------
Example:
Domain: ohiou

For what subject areas do you have system-wide available resources people might
like to use?

Physics
Physical Sciences
Chemistry (though not opened up as much as we'd like yet)
No Math or Biology

Are these appropriate for College, AP HS, 9-12 general or all three?
The physics are a wide range of calc-based, algebra-based and physical sciences.

What are some pointers to these materials?
/res/ohiou/OUp200lib (algebra-based)
/res/ohiou/OUp250lib (calc-based)
/res/ohiou/OUpsclib/105  Physical Science - Color, Light and Sound
/res/ohiou/physlets  Some physlet problems
/res/ohiou/ccliphys/dcCircuits DC circuit problems from a CCLI proposal
                               about 30 with a wide range of difficulty.

Any other comments you'd like to add?
I'd love to find people who might be interested in picking a topic (like
circuits or energy), looking at the literature, and then writing a whole slew of
problems that particularly take advantage of LON-CAPA's capabilities.

I need to convince chemistry to open their problems more.