[LON-CAPA-users] Bubble sheets

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 12 Dec 2008 18:19:30 -0500

Hi,

On Dec 12, 2008, at 3:26 PM, Lars Jensen wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer. The instructions doesn't mention anything
> about special hardware needed. What kind of grading (scantron?)
> machines should the college have.

Our machines are actually from NCS. One of these days, the word
"Scantron" needs to vanish from the LON-CAPA interface - it's a
trademarked brand name (I guess like "Kleenex"). However, we can work
with most any machine.

Something like this is likely going to work for low volumes:

http://www.seabyte.org/ncs_opscan_3.htm

Of course the cheaper the thing is, the more likely you have paper
jams, etc. The MSU CAPA office years ago used to have its own little
desktop scanner, but it was a pain; at MSU, LON-CAPA processes around
17,000 bubble sheets every semester, so we are using our Scoring
Office's services.

> How about the format of the grading report/file from the scantron -
> does it need to follow a certain format for LON-capa to be able to
> read it?

LON-CAPA is fairly configurable in that respect, using configuration
files. Once we have a sample of the format of your files, we can
likely generate a configuration file for you.

- Gerd.