[LON-CAPA-users] Fwd: Support research and win an iPod Shuffle

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 21:18:10 -0400

A message from Lars Hoeppner:

Hi,

I'd like to thank the people who already participated in the evaluation.

However, we still need your input!

To make your participation in the evaluation a little easier, I
propose this procedure:

1) choose a search query (and a start user if necessary, i.e. if
you're not a course instructor in some course)
2) use the keyword-search (algorithm 5) and then give a rating based
on those questions:
- are most of the resources found relevant to you or is a majority not
interesting?
- how long would it take you to select the best ones out of the list?
3) issue the same search query but use a filter algorithm (1-4) (keep
the default options) and give a rating based on:
- compared to the results you found with the step 2 before, do you
feel that all relevant resources are still in the result list?
- are the less relevant resources no longer in the list?
- will it take you less time to select the best resources than with
the complete list from step 2?

This usually shouldn't take you longer than a few minutes and would
already help a great deal.

Ideally, do step 3 for all four filter algorithms. If you want to go
wild, you could also try the extend-links on the result page or even
try changing the parameters.
Note regarding browsers: I recently realized that the search result
pages are "optimized" for Mozilla Firefox. The extend-links somehow
get truncated when using Internet Explorer, so in case you use IE you
can only evaluate the filter algorithms.

Thanks for your help!

-Lars