[LON-CAPA-users] square roots in formula response

Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:16:28 -0400

Hi Peter,

> What's PRECISELY going on is the following:
> lonmaxima, loncapa's interface to maxima, inputs
>    is(trigsimp(trigreduce(RESPONSE-ANSWER))=0);
> to maxima. Here, RESPONSE is the student's response, ANSWER the correct
> answer.

We had batted around the idea of adding to formula response

<formularesponse simplifications="trigsimp tigreduce">
(roughly, syntax was an open question)

So that for formula response you could choose which set (and order) of
the set of simplifications one might apply is, without having to
descend into <mathresponse>

I'm not sure where that proposal ended up at.

Could be revived...

(And the list there while currently maxima specific, could be divorced
from it with our own set of 'simplifications' classes ... hard to know
how much generality is wanted or needed)

--
guy@albertelli.com   0-7-0-9-27,137