[LON-CAPA-users] formula response or maxima response example requested

Jay Sullivan lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:45:13 -0500

------=_Part_7310_25373516.1196358313953

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for an example of a specific type of formula response (or maxima
graded response).

What I would like a student to do is to enter a polynomial function.
However, I want to be sure that they have entered it in expanded form (i.e.
_not_ as a product of factors). I know that formula response will accept
either as correct since the test function matches the input function in
either case.

Here is a specific example, to clarify:

Find a polynomial of least degree having only real coefficients, with *zeros
-3,-2,-1,1,2,3* and with *f(0) = -36*.

Using a loncapa formula response either of the answers below are graded as
correct:

(x+3)(x+2)(x-1)(x-2)(x-3)   OR   x^6 -14*x^4 +49*x^2 -36

I would like to be able to require that students explicitly enter the second
version. I'm guessing there is a way to
do this with maxima? I'd rather not use a string response.

Thanks for any tips or related examples......
Jay