[LON-CAPA-users] Usability Question

winter lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 00:00:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

I am evaluating some LMSs for a children's learning
project. I need what some people call "Conditional
Activities." I looked at Moodle, they have some hacks.
It looks very messy. Atutor does not have this
functionality I am told by Greg.

on: http://www.edutools.info/static.jsp?pj=4&page=HOME

I am told that LON-CAPA has:
"Instructors can release materials based on a single
criteria (date, grade, etc.) or instructors can use
Boolean expressions to identify multiple selective
release criteria."

Basically I'd like some way to be able to reward the
child with activities or "diplomas" for work well
done. Also I'd like to keep them from accessing
certain courses until others are complete. This way I
can have an automatic "flow" to guide the child. The
material is not advanced. So personal tutoring is not
needed. The child must simply study and pass quizzes
and tests to be able to "advance" in the course (or
rather from course to the next course) and "unlock"
activities.

Does LON-CAPA have functionality for that? I would not
like to hack around the likes of Moodle/PHP right now.
Perhaps a little configuring via some internal logic
is fine. Though, I need to work on the look and
courses rather than hack.

Does anyone have any ideas and suggestions? If it
possible, a point in the right direction would be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Winter

Looking for earth-friendly autos?