[LON-CAPA-users] tex in loncapa

Felicia Berryman lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 06 Jun 2007 17:02:04 -0400

Hi Peter,

> The latest issue is German Umlaute. For instance, ΓΌ (typeset in latex as
> \"u) comes out as
> [\"?]u

This output usually happens in inline mode.  Equation mode usually works
fine without this weirdness:
<m>\[ STUFF \]</m>
However, I'm sure you don't want to use equation mode to just type one
letter.  Equation mode adds space above and below the equation and
centers it on the page.  I'd go with Lars suggestion of
<m display="jsmath">

> Sometimes we can use the HTML typesetting &uuml; as a workaround, but
> occasionally it is absolutely necessary to have the Umlaut within tex,
> as in
> <m> f(x)=\left\{
> \begin{array}{ll}
> 1 & \mbox{f\"ur} x>0\\
> 0 & \mbox{sonst}
> \end{array}
> \right.
> </m>

For this, I would try equation mode.  That is:

<m>\[ f(x)=\left\{
\begin{array}{ll}
1 & \mbox{f\"ur} x>0\\
0 & \mbox{sonst}