[LON-CAPA-users] loading a maxima package for use

Peter Riegler lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 04 Dec 2007 21:10:22 +0100

Hi Jay,

mean requires load (descriptive). "load" is blacklisted.
Blacklisted are
'save','load','plot','lisp','includ','compil','file','batch','stringout','translat','stout','stin','block','system','concat','read','inchar',
'outchar','ttyoff','with_stdout','writefile','reset'
which are considered to be potentially harmful (allowing file system or
OS access).
I had a discussion with Gerd&Guy about it. We basically agreed on having
  an extra attribute allowing to load trusted maxima packages.
Unfortunately none of us seems to have time to realize this.

Maybe defining your own function is a suitable workaround:
(%i1) mymean(x):=apply("+",x)/length(x);
                                        apply("+", x)
                                          length(x)
(%i2) mymean([1,2,3,4]);
                                        5
                                        2

Peter

--
Peter Riegler
Fachhochschule Braunschweig/Wolfenbüttel