[LON-CAPA-users] new adaptive hint format

Robley Light lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 15:16:50 -0400

In an earlier problem I used a "conditional" hint to put the student on the
right track when they submit the wrong sign for an answer.  For example, I
retrieved their submission in the script area:

$answerc=&EXT('user.resource.resource.c.3.submission');

Then set the following condition on the hint.

	<block condition="$answerc > 0">
<hintgroup showoncorrect="no">
		<startouttext />Remember that the reaction is exothermic, so
</hintgroup>
	</block>

The new "Adative Hint" examples allow you to provide a "wrong" answer that
triggers a hint, but using that format how do you trigger a hint where the
answer is in some kind of range (i.e. positive when it should be negative,
as here.)  I suppose for a simpler "range", you could put a value in with a
tolerance that covers the range, but is there some way to be more specific
(i.e. when $answer <100 & >95).

Or does anyone have a better way to do something like this?

Robley

Robley J. Light                  Professor Emeritus of Chemistry and
Biochemistry
Department of Chemistry          Phone:   (850) 644-3844
   and Biochemistry              Email:  rlight@chem.fsu.edu
Florida State University         Fax:      (850) 644-8281
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4390    Home Page:
http://www.chem.fsu.edu/editors/rlight

believed to be clean.