[LON-CAPA-users] Feedback Mode - missing parameter

Fri, 1 Sep 2006 19:30:23 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Mark,

> So the problem is as follows:
>
> You don't want a student to see whether they are right or wrong until
> after a quiz, exam, or whatever has closed. Setting Show Status to no will
> suppress this and simply return confirmation that an answer has been
> recorded.
>
> If a hint is shown, this is a pretty good clue that the student got the
> answer wrong. (I wonder if there are other subtle clues?)

Not neccessarily.

When a a problem status is inhibited. The logic that decideds whther
or not to show the hint, always treats any response as wrong.

So if you have only basic hint, it will always show the hint (once
tries exceeds hinttries)

If you have dynamic hints, then the correct dynamic hint will be show
when it's wrong.

So there is some leak but only in the case of the use of dynamic
hints.

That being said I'm pretty sure I agree with the proposal to always
inhibit the display of hints, if 'Show Problem Status' is set to no.

I was just lookin for times when one doesn/t want this.

(As Ray said, with two switches you have the pain, and the pleasure of
throwing both switches.)

> I have not noticed this because in the reading quiz setting I use very
> simple problems designed especially for this (ie., I never even considered
> putting hints in these problems).
>
> While hints can be disabled by cranking up the numbers, this means there
> are two separate parameters to set. (though only if you are using
> questions with hints coded under a showstatus=no situation)
>
> Out of curiosity, do hints show when a problem is viewed and entered in
> exam mode?

Yes. Currently the 'exam' mode simply switches al problems in to
bubble mode.