[LON-CAPA-users] Alternate scoring systems?

Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:55:58 -0500 (EST)

Hi Brew,

> I am interested in implementing an alternate scoring
> system for some problem sequences. I am wondering if anyone else has
> done something similar, and how I would go about doing this.
>
> Option I
>
> My first thought was some kind of perl script in the sequence,
> modifying the resource.awarded value. To minimize maintenance
> headaches, it would be nice to put the logic in a central library and
> simply import the logic into the sequence.
>
> 1) Does this work?

Nope.

> 2) Can I import library logic into sequences?

Nope.

I could get into why this is as it is and why I'm fairly unwilling to
bend on it but the short answer is, Option II is there to do this.

> Option II
>
> My second thought was that maybe this is more appropriate using the
> spreadsheet logic.

Yep.

> There seems to be some type of programmability in
> the spreadsheets displayed. I played with this for a couple of hours,
> but was never able to deduce syntax and commands available. I did find
> a brief discussion in some online manual, but it didn't really help. It
> looks like there could be some real power here, but I need some
> examples of what people have done with this to understand it.
>
> 1) Is this a better idea?

Yep.

> 2) Does anyone have some examples of programming the LonCapa
>    spreadsheet?

Yep. (Pages 42-48 of the manual attempt to explain the spreadsheet)

Also searching for files that end in .spreadsheet should popup some
published examples that are out there.

> Option III
>
> If necessary, I can develop my own Excel Spreadsheets to do this.
> However, it seems like a clumsy approach, especially since I would need
> to do multiple data extractions from LonCapa to get both the number of
> tries and the current points awarded...

Most people have gone this way.

--
guy@albertelli.com   0-7-1-6-27,137