[LON-CAPA-users] Alternate scoring systems?

lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:16:35 -0500

system for some problem sequences. I am wondering if anyone else has
done something similar, and how I would go about doing this.<br>
For each problem in the sequence, I would like to assign points based
on the number of tries. For example, getting the problem right on the
first try nets 10 points. Correct on the second try yields 8 points,
and so on. An eventual correct answer would always yield one point,
regardless of the number of tries.<br>
tart with, growing to about 300 after a year or so. <br>
My first thought was some kind of perl script in the sequence,
modifying the resource.awarded value. To minimize maintenance
headaches, it would be nice to put the logic in a central library and
simply import the logic into the sequence.<br>
1) Does this work?<br>
2) Can I import library logic into sequences?<br>
3) Would I need to add logic after every problem (say, 10 problems in a
sequence) or can I do a single script at the end of the script?<br>
Option II<br>
My second thought was that maybe this is more appropriate using the
spreadsheet logic. There seems to be some type of programmability in
the spreadsheets displayed. I played with this for a couple of hours,
but was never able to deduce syntax and commands available. I did find
a brief discussion in some online manual, but it didn't really help. It
looks like there could be some real power here, but I need some
examples of what people have done with this to understand it.<br>
1) Is this a better idea?<br>
2) Does anyone have some examples of programming the LonCapa spreadsheet?<b=
r>
Option III<br>
If necessary, I can develop my own Excel Spreadsheets to do this.
However, it seems like a clumsy approach, especially since I would need
to do multiple data extractions from LonCapa to get both the number of
tries and the current points awarded....<br>
Thanks for any examples/help,<br>
Robert Brewington<br>
Chemistry/Physics<br>
East Rochester High School<br>