[LON-CAPA-users] 2006 LON-CAPA Conference and Workshop

Robley Light lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 1 Mar 2006 17:37:24 -0500

Hi, Gerd,

I'm at home resting from a medical procedure and just turned on the
computer.  I may not have made the five minutes, but I'm close! :-)

I checked to get try the dorm.  Do the doors lock?  Will there be a safe
place to store a laptop when I'm not using it?

I haven't yet secured funding for the trip but will be working on it.  I do
want to come and was waiting to be certain of travel funding from here, but
it sounds like you are interested in intentions sooner. If funding falls
through, or I get an intestinal bug like I had a week ago, I presume
cancellation is not a problem?

By the way, I'm still talking to various university deans and officials
about the consortium arrangement. We have a strategy to approach the provost
who probably would be the one to sign off here. It might help is you would
give me the contact at Illinois so I could ask for a copy of the document
they signed, how they plan to document their input, and any other
suggestions they might make.

Also I believe I heard from Hon Kie and you as well that they are
particularly interested in improving the user interface appearance.  Is that
true?

We are going to be working on improving the interface with Blackboard
(single log-in for both, automated transfer of grades from LC to Blacboard,
automated course creation by user web request).  I presume once these things
are working they could be considered as part of our "contribution"?  I have
provided Stuart with an instructor account on one of my Blacboard
demonstration courses so he could work on the question conversion.  Since he
did that a few months ago with Blackboard 6 they have instituted half a
dozen new question types, including some algorithmic ones.

Robley

Robley J. Light                         Professor of Chemistry and
Biochemistry
Department of Chemistry          Phone:   (850) 644-3844
   and Biochemistry                   Email:  rlight@chem.fsu.edu
Florida State University             Fax:      (850) 644-8281
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4390    Home Page:
http://chemweb.chem.fsu.edu/editors/rlight