[LON-CAPA-users] Essay Response - Plagiarism

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:48:27 -0400

Hi Mark,

On Jul 19, 2006, at 7:28 AM, lucasm@ohiou.edu wrote:

> What is the status of the 'similar response' checking in LON-CAPA
> for essayresponse questions?
>
> I presume it is currently only functional for straight text.

Correct.

> Does it work on things like word documents?

Nope. Word is a binary proprietary format. A while ago I played with
some libraries to decode that stuff, but gave up.

> David Ingram is looking to have technical reports (extensive lab
> reports done once a quarter) uploaded into LON-CAPA and checked for
> plagiarism as well as graded. He pointed me to Lou Bloomfields site
> and was wondering what might be done to incorporate this work.
>
> http://plagiarism.phys.virginia.edu/software.html
>
> Anyone else working on this kind of stuff out there?

Not currently. I'll check it out.

Basically, once I can "understand" the Word file as text, I can use
the existing functionality. Shouldn't really be that hard.

- Gerd.