[LON-CAPA-users] online lab grading: read student data

James Sullivan lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:42:00 -0400

Thanks for the email Ray. I should probably clarify the question. Here's the
hypothetical situation:

1) Students in lab perform an experiment on gravity measuring times of free
fall for different objects from different heights.

2) From this information they should be able to determine the value of the
gravitation acceleration (and the associated error) using simple formulas.

3) What would be ideal would to have them enter the data they recorded,
let's say four different (height,time) points into LON-CAPA. A script would
then process the data and determine the "measured" value of the
gravitational acceleration.

4) Students would enter the acceleration they have computed "by hand" as a
numerical response which LON-CAPA could then check against the value it
computed.

It seems I remember someone at the conference in MSU discussion a "data
entry" response type, in particular for lab work in physics or chemistry,
but maybe I am dreaming.

Best,
JMS

James M. Sullivan, Assistant Professor
jmsullivan@vcu.edu
Department of Physics                                    Virginia
Commonwealth University
tel: 804/828-6343
fax: 804/828-7073

1020 W. Main St.
PO BOX 842000
Richmond, VA 23284-2000

*
"If you can drive a nail, and if you have any nails to drive, drive them."
          - H. D. Thoureau, 1850
*