[LON-CAPA-users] Slow spreadsheet calculations

Fri, 29 Dec 2006 18:26:19 -0500 (EST)

Hi Brew,

> Wow. So these guys using the system to do 6000 students have to run
> 50 hours to get their spreadsheet?

Well maybe, maybe not.

Time to calculate is linearly related to number of resources and
number of students. I suspect that your course has a notably higher
number of resources....

Additionally, generally one shouldn't need to do a complete
recalculation of everything. And thus if there was 50 hours of calcs
to do it is spreadout over the entire term. (And if you offer up the
SPRS to the students. They can soak up some of that time for you.)

So generally one shouldn't see a time wait this high.

Other people prefer using CHRT and just getting a Excel spreadsheet
dump of the data and then muck with it in Excel.

All that being said, yes I'd love to make the SPRS faster but haven't
been able to improve it more yet. (Although it's much better than it
was, used to take more than 10 minutes a student.)

--
guy@albertelli.com   0-7-1-6-27,137