[LON-CAPA-users] Setting Default Sig-figs for course

Sun, 4 Sep 2005 22:24:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Mark,

> Suppose I want to set the default sig-figs for the whole course to (1,10).
> How would I do that?

This sounds like you want to disable sigfigs course wide.

Correct?

If so, PARM -> Set Course Environment ->
               'Disable checking of Significant Figures'

Set it to 'yes'.

If you really want to set it to 1,10... see below for why it is hard.

> There have been issues in the past with the multiple parts - you actually
> end up having to set it for each individual id of response, since most
> problems have a responseparam coded in for this. Is this still the case?

Not so much issues, as really contray to the design of how parameter
cascade was designed. :-)

Basically there is no easy way to override course wide the values a
problem exports as defaults because at some level we expect that a
problem knows more about what it needs than a course coordinator that
is blindly setting parameters. (The canonical example of where you
want it to be hard for a CC to override an author is the problem with
only 2 answers and sets the default tries on that problem to 1. You
don't want the course wide default of 10 to override that problem.)

--
guy@albertelli.com   0-7-2-1-27,137