[LON-CAPA-users] MSU coding for Scantron exam sheets

Mon, 3 Oct 2005 16:13:29 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Ric,

> I am trying to administer exams using lon-capa.  I have found the
> document, "A Guide to Building Your Exam", to be very helpful and
> I'm almost there.  Here's my problem: In Scoring an Exam, you have
> the option of uploading a Scantron data file.  What is the format
> for that Scantron data file?  There is a wide range of Scantron
> sheets available from Scantron (http://www.scantron.com/) and thus
> there is a wide range of formats.)
>
> In the aforementioned instructions, it says, "In the format of the
> data file section, use MSU with CODE in separate location for coded
> exams and MSU without CODE for named exams."  So my question really
> is, "What exactly is the MSU code?"

There are two options for exams,

1) print them out for a specfic student.

With this variant each exam is printed out to be used by a specific
user, and thus when passign them out you have to make sure Alice gets
Alice's exam and Bob gets Bob's exam.

2) print them out for a CODE.

When printing them out a CODE (rather athan a username gets printed on
the exam) this CODE is anythign fro 4-8 letters or numbers (depending
on how the scantronformat.tab file says the CODE will looks like)

In this case you had out the exams randomly, and when grading we read
the CODE of the exam sheet, and the student information from the sheet
and associate the two together. Thus, after grading, the student will
in the online version see exactly what they saw on the exam they had
in class.

Make sense?

--
guy@albertelli.com   0-7-2-1-27,137